I think there is a lack of people, and motivated staff.
Helpful staff is the key to a server feeling very welcoming and making the learning curve low.
Moderaters should focus more effort into answering questions and helping out new players. Any time a question is asked, More often than not, the asker is told to go to the RS-Wiki because its "the same" as regular OSRS.
I have seen it happen a TON of times and I've only been playing about a month.

The lack of people does not need much explaining, there is just a lack of players. Especially active pkers.

The wilderness is controlled by one clan. If there were a second clan, things would be a lot more interesting. But, as it stands, Anything to do in the wilderness for PVM is not worth it. It isn't just a risk, its a guarantee that if you go to do a boss task or get sinister keys, you WILL be fighting 1 or 2 people. Period.

That being said,
There are lots of PK friendly things that can improve the server. The preset system in the top PK server is incredible. Works off of your bank. Pkers dont wanna go through warriors guild for Dragon defender, and don't want to go through slayer for Void. It forces PVM onto people who are not interested in PVM. Currently, the money is not there in PKing. BM drops are quite low, and dont translate to high ammounts of GP. Spending time gathering up Boss slayer points is the best way to make money. 1mil BM is like.. 100+ kills?
It isn't fun to PK either. Kill one person and youre on a shit list. Kill a PVM'er, theyll complain about how pathetic it is to pick on PVM'ers in chat. Kill the wrong person, and a clan will hunt you down, consistently, until you dont wanna pk anymore. Wanna PVM? every tele is being checked consistently by one clan's scout, because nobody goes and challenges the pkers, and the pkers are so bored that they have to constantly camp wilderness teleports.

At this point im just rambling. Take everything with a grain of salt. I'm not incredibly experienced with this game and just spouting off my thoughts.

Another thing about Great PKing servers
There is an item gambler. Double or nothing. Good $ Sink. Maybe a good idea. Could make someone a quick bil or lose them a quick bil.
Makes things interesting. something to think about